Translate and Read

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Foreignbody in Respiratory Tract & Accidental Entry.

Posted by Prahallad Panda on 7:14 PM Comments

LungsImage by jemsweb via Flickr
It is very difficult for the foreign body to go down to the respiratory tract but not impossible as the news reports it.Sometimes while dinning and sucking food such as the marrow from the bone it may accidentally enter to the respiratory tract and may choke it.Human can sustain life without air for about 3 minutes.So,the first three minutes is important.Accidental entry of foreign body body generally evokes violent cough to expel it but sometimes fails to expel it out.In that case the friends should come to rescue.There is a particular procedure for it.One should go to the back side of the person,clasp him/her near the lower chest and forcibly squeeze the chest wall  keeping his chest to the back of victim while the victim keeps opening his/her mouth.The fragment should come out.If this fails one should not hesitate to do a tracheotomy.With help of any sharp instrument the throat is to be cut about 3 cms above the upper end of sternum.Or,else a wide bore needle may be thrust to the trachea.One or other procedure will definitely save the life of a person in this emergency situation.


 If a foreign body however passes down without choking the upper respiratory tract it is bound to cause collapse of lung in varying proportions called Mandelson's Syndrome.Frequently vomits of an unconscious patient may go in and cause death due to choking of respiratory tract or cause mandelson's syndrome.Vomits can also cause of sudden death of babies and patients under anaesthesia.    

clipped from edition.cnn.com
(CNN) -- "I know I didn't chow down on a spoon!" declared John Manley, who recently discovered that an eating utensil was the source of his two years of ill health, coughing, vomiting and pain.
The Wilmington, North Carolina, resident had surgery last week to remove part of a plastic spoon from his lung. And it wasn't just any old plastic spoon; it came from the fast-food chain Wendy's, with the restaurant logo clearly visible on the handle.
"It must have been in the food or drink," Manley told CNN affiliate WECT.
His doctor found the spoon after looking into his lungs with an endoscope, a medical instrument with a long, thin tube containing a light and a video camera.
"He explained that there was an object down there, and it had writing on it," Manley said. "It spelled out 'Wendy's' on one side and 'hamburgers' on the other, and I was a little floored."
So were his relatives, who, when they were telephoned with the news, were eating ... Wendy's.


blog it
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]


Get my updates delivered into your inbox; Privacy Policy :

Click here to Subscribe news feed from "Clinispot; so that you do not miss out anything that can be valuable to you !!

Related Posts with Thumbnails